Tuesday, September 08, 2009

God's a big girl too

Tonight in the middle of a three-hour-marathon refusal to go to sleep in her bed, Clare had this to say in response to my suggestion that maybe we could pray to God to help her go to sleep (yes: desperate mommy = me).

Clare: "I want to pray to the girl God."
me: "what?" (panicking, thinking, "did I accidentally use the male pronoun without noticing it? what kind of a feminist theologian am I!")
Clare: "I want to talk to the girl God...because the girl God is like me. Can God be a girl God?"
me: "Sure honey. God is a girl God and a boy God and an everything God."
Clare: "and a baby God too."
me: "yes, and a baby God too."
Clare, worried: "but baby God needs a mommy and daddy."
me: "Well, God was a baby, just like you used to be, a little baby named Jesus, and when God was a baby he had a mommy and daddy just like you."
Clare: "and God's a big girl too."
me: "yes, baby. God's a big girl too."

5 comments:

Keith Brenton said...

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" ... declares the LORD. ~ Isaiah 49:15-18

"As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you ..."Isaiah 66:13a

JJT said...

in there somewhere indeed, Clare told me that the girl God could grow up to be a mama God. I'd forgotten that detail till just now!

Tera said...

Adorable!

Keith Brenton said...

She's a bright girl, like mama!

TKP said...

Awesome!!!!! Clare is my hero.