Monday, January 15, 2007

nonresolutions

I don't make resolutions. Not really. I mean, not consciously. I don't write anything down and don't pick any goals or deadlines. This would be a great time for me to resolve, for instance, to start working on getting back into shape, or more specifically (I read somewhere that generic resolutions are the first to go) to not skip any more yoga classes. But I don't resolve. I'm not sure why I don't join with the millions of people who make promises to themselves upon the occasion of the new year, but I just don't.

However, I find that I mark the clean slate beginning of a new year in other ways. I just cleaned out my hotmail inbox. I had nearly 500 messages in there, stretching back to before Clare was born, before I was pregnant even. I don't know when it was that I lost control over my inbox. But messages just kept compounding.

But now, it's all gone. With a few clicks of the mouse I ruthlessly deleted almost everything. I didn't go through the messages. I deleted whole pages of missives without a glance, a hundred at a time. I saved an email from Brent with the subject line "I love you" and a couple messages from people I wanted to remember to write. And that was it. Now I have 5 messages in my inbox.

And boy do I feel good.

I also shaved my legs today for the first time in a long, long time. And I cleaned out the closet this week. And gathered up all Clare's outgrown clothes to pass on to friends. And yesterday I reorganized my desk.

It should be a good year, 2007.

No comments: