Tuesday, April 11, 2006

H & M

So, I was determined not to blog about this because it would make me so much less cool. But I'm just not really all that cool.

Saturday night I found myself at an awesome party in NYC--a highly unusual occurrence in itself--and, even more startlingly, found myself talking to Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams while stuffing my face with a cupcake.

I didn't faint, or babble, or go speechless. I didn't mention Brokeback Mountain (although Brent and I had finally just watched it two days before). Instead, Heath asked how we knew Joe & Laura, and Michelle asked me how the pregnancy was going and we talked about how great prenatal yoga is.

And that's it; it was small talk and not something I expect was all that earth-shattering for anyone. But I have this enormous appreciation for the fact that people who do extraordinary things like brilliantly act in socially significant movies are also, in all other contexts, ordinary people who do things like go to birthday parties and make small talk about babies and yoga. But it seems like very often people who do extraordinary things forget that they are also ordinary people in all other contexts, and the rest of us let them forget that in our own starstruck adoration of them. And that makes my little five minutes of talking with my mouth full and licking buttercream icing off my fingers while chatting with Heath and Michelle all the more precious to me. Now I can admire them on both counts: as extraordinary actors, and wonderful, ordinary people.

8 comments:

R-Liz said...

There's few better ice breakers or conversation starters than pregnancy. For some reason, pregnancy also makes one seem more approachable. How you found that to be the case? Having conversations with people you wouldn't have otherwise because you're expecting?

TKP said...

I'm significantly jealous. How fun that must have been!

mom23 said...

How cool are you? You just get cooler all the time. BTW, do you remember bringing me the turkish chai teacups when you returned from Turkey forever ago? Yeah, Chloe was asking me about them the other day and it was great to think of you in the middle of my day and tell her a little about you.

BTW, haven't you been pregnant long enough? How long has it been now, a year?

jch said...

Cracking me up. I love the image of you stuffing your face with cupcake while talking with H/M. Great stuff.

Thanks for making the trek into NYC. It was much fun.

JTB said...

Yeah, it seems like everyone can talk pregnancy/babies. I had a nice long conversation with a woman and her two kids a couple days ago at Great Clips. Turns out her sister in law is about 6 months with her first, and she is hosting a shower for 60 people next week. Egad. Maybe the icebreaker effect is because pregnancy is kinda cute, or maybe it's that everyone knows to get that way you had to have sex and so they already know something intimate about you and whoosh! the barriers come down. I have no idea.

Tracy, I have no memory of those chai cups! I do, however, remember purchasing two meerschaum pipes...and yes, I think I've definitely been pregnant long enough but it'll be the first of June (ish) before Baby _____ is satisfied on that score...

And yes, my favorite part of the whole episode is that I was gorging myself on one of those amazing cupcakes the whole time. I wasn't kidding about licking frosting off my fingers, either!

Anonymous said...

I think we are missing the important questions here: Did you witness to them? Invite them to church? Share the 5 steps? Break out Acts 2:38?

I kid.

Casey. said...

It's so funny that you write this. I have told every person that would listen about the fact that I went to a party that Heath Ledger also attended and that I talked to him at length about grocery shopping in Brooklyn. They were so nice, weren't they.

Anonymous said...

Jen, you were nothing but graceful at the party -- a "hot mama-to-be." If anyone came off dorky, it was my husband and I. No, we did not gush about Brokeback mountain. But I was "outed" by my husband as an avid "Dawson's Creek" watcher (my lost adolescence, what can I say?), and my husband said how much he liked "A Knight's Tale." "Warhammer" was also a source of conversation. I agree -- they were lovely people.